In 1995 I graduated with honours from the Maastricht School of Translation and Interpreting, specialising in Medicine and Biology. I majored in Japanese and English. (I was a nerdy student – I even received a Monbusho scholarship for a study trip to Japan.)
This means I can use the title “bachelor” (BA), but – more importantly – that I’ve been properly trained to do what I’ve been doing ever since I started to work as an independent linguistic consultant: help businesses and organisations all over the world to reach the Dutch audience.
In 1998, I founded Nanika Services. Since then, I’ve written, translated, edited and proofread millions of words (English and Dutch) for a broad range of end clients.
Nowadays, I focus mostly on translation, sometimes bordering on rewriting for flair and fluency. These are the types of text I deal with on a day to day basis:
- INSTRUCTIONAL/EDUCATIONAL: User manuals, text books, (e-learning) training courses, questionnaires, tutorials
- PROMOTIONAL/MARKETING: Advertising campaigns, product placement campaigns, including transcreation for websites, brochures and leaflets (both end client and B-to-B) and commercials (scripts for radio and tv)
- MEDICAL: Patient consent forms, patient information leaflets, public health documentation, questionnaires, websites, training courses
- SCIENTIFIC/TECHNICAL: EU safety regulations, MSDS, white papers, CE marking, research papers, summaries, booklets, training courses
- LEGAL: contracts, terms & conditions, GDPR